Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 and other assorted giant robots of the past.

Currently Watching: Mobile Suit Gundam 00


If you're like me, you never, ever see things in the order in which they are released. In part, that has to do where I live, not just Texas, but South Central Texas. A place where more influence is found from our/my Hispanic culture from such close proximity to the Mexican border than anything else.



When the Gundam TV series, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, first started airing on TV I was all kinds of excited. Love big robot movies and TV shows.



I still remember the way Robot Jox, made me feel seeing it on the big screen at the local drive in when I was a kid. But of course, with the ease of animation, Gundam movements were way more intricate and at a much faster pace than Robot Jox. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing had the kind of action that was missing in animated entertainment. Dragon Ball Z had been on for a while and now that Gundam was showing, almost directly after (If I remember correctly) my afternoons were looking pretty good. I'm starting to think these were playing while I was an upper class men in high school rather than already graduated.

However, the very VERY first introduction into giant robots, for me was Voltron: Defender of the Universe. I mean come one, this guy didn't even have hands or toes. he had lions instead. Lion mouths gripped his weapons. Every limb growled when he formed. I don't think ever got tired of the narration when Voltron formed.



Anyhow, now I'm checking out Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It looks pretty crazy, just the first episode had a lot going on. It is interesting how the Gundam's showed up to basically save the planet, but everyone that is listening to their ultimatums towards warmongers is basically laughing at them, both military and civilians alike.All because they said they'd use force/war to stop all war or war like behavior. So by the end of the first episode, their not really seen as  heroes they are kind of thought of as hypocrites. I think i have time for one more episode before i turn in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment